Saturday, May 31, 2008

Home Sweet Home

Home Sweet Home! It is so nice to be home. Thanks to my wonderful husband and kids, Jess, Carina and Rick, the furniture is back in place and the new floor in the livingroom and diningroom looks amazing. It feels like a new house.

There is so much I would like to do now that I am home, but the most important thing is becoming more comfortable with my new knees. Every chair, the couch and the deck are all so much more comfortable than the hospital bed and any chair I sat on in the hospital. It is great to be home.

Tomorrow I will begin working on my book of excersizes because I know that the only way I will be able to cook, clean and put things back together will depend on my increased ability to walk and manage without a walker or cane.

Right now I can, with pain, go up and down stairs. I can use two canes around the house for short walks, but if I want to walk a little farther, I need a walker.

I am feeling quite impatient right now. I just want to be able to stretch and bend the way I would normally, but with swelling and bruising of the legs this will take some time. I managed to stretch my legs straight with a 2 - 5 inch distance to the bed which should be 0. I was able to bend my knees in with a 105 degree angle which is wonderful, but the pain was excrutiating so this needs a lot of work.

The pharmacy is now preparing my medications which are an array of pain killers, antibiotics, blood thinners,etc. I am hoping that I will be able to cut back on these significantly over the next few weeks, but I am told that it is better to stay on the pain killers in order to tolerate the excersize and thus become more mobile. What a drag!

The good news after all of this surgery business, is that befoe the surgery my blood pressure was creeping up, but since the surgery is over, my blood pressure is on the low side. I guess the pain and stress of arthritis and upcoming surgery is much more stressful than the pain associated with recuperation.

I received a lovely package in the mail today. Thanks so much to Yvette, Sheila and Roz for the beautiful nigthty and cover. It is exactly to my taste. I love it.

Thanks also to Debbie for coming to the hospital and packing me all up as I waited for Chris. We were all ready to go as soon as Chris and Jess arrived.

Thanks for the lovely blog messages from Sonia and Jane from Life-Bridge and from the Cauchi family. It was so nice to hear from you. I hope everyone else at Life-Bridge is doing well. I miss you all.

Until next time.

Marilyn
The first day home is awsome. Thanks

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Marilyn,
The best part of a hospital stay IS when you leave it. I can't wait to see your "new" home either. Have a lovely Sunday with your family & reacquainting yourself with pets.
All the best to everyone.
Love, Iro.

Marilyn said...

Thanks Iro, It is also nice to be back in front of my full screen computer. I will call you soon. Marilyn