Thursday, May 29, 2008

A Very Long Day 7

Only one week after surgery and I am suffering through torcherous physio. The worst is the bending in. You would think they would lubricate these things before installing them.

Once again I woke up far to early, 3;30 am, and counted the hours until breakfast and my scheduled 11:30 am physio. Once again, the first bending excersize brought tears to my eyes. Fortunately the latter lunges, balancing and stairs were not half as painful.

A visit from Jess and Deb brought up my spirits and a yummy lunch kept my energies high. Thanks for the lovely warm socks and fleece from Deb, I did not get the uncomfortable chills that I had last night.

As I did not take the pain meds that cause me dizziness, I enjoyed dinner and a visit from Chris. We cleared up some of the stuff needing to go home as a visit from the doctor indicated the following:

1. I can go home as soon as I feel safe.
2. I should make an appt. for next Tues. to check how the blood thinners are managing - no clots.
3. If I have any chest or leg pain, I must go to emergency immediately to ensure no lung or leg clots as these are common on day 17 of bilateral knee surgery.
4. I should, once again reassess my pain meds and even take the ones I am allergic to with gravol, to ensure good mobility.
5. I should ask my doctor to refer me to a neurologist re the tingling/numbness on the balls of my feet.
6. Continue doing my excersizes at home but do not go to outpatient rehab as infection spreads at rehabs. She thinks I can do the excersizes fine on my own.
7. Wear my ped stockings for 6 weeks, day and night.
8. Come back and see her in six weeks to assess my progress.

So tonight Chris and I decided that three more days with my physio here would prepare me for returning safely to home care - means that I have all day Friday and all day Saturday to be pampered and to push forward.

So Sunday morning I will be packing up and returning home. I am really looking forward to seeing how our new livingroom and diningroom look after the rugs have come up, the floors stained and varnished and the rooms painted. Apparently it looks great.

Until tomorrow.

Marilyn

No comments: