Thursday, May 22, 2008

Surgery Day Recap!

It's nighttime and we've left mum to rest and hopefully get a good night's sleep. She has been alert and happy all day long thanks to a lovely pain pump that kept her completely pain free!

Every few hours a nurse would come by to check her blood pressure and to see how much feeling she was regaining in her legs. They would test with ice from hip down to toes. By about 8 this evening she wasn't necessarily feeling the ice too low down but she was able to wiggle her toes and flex her feet, which is good. The surgeon came by and said that everything went very well and to expect the worst still to come.

Apparently tomorrow they will have her already up with a high walker so we'll see how that goes.

Another thing: she is restricted to clear fluids only for the next few days and the hospital food services got it wrong and brought her solids. When they realized the error they took the food away but never brought anything in its place. Can you believe that?! We asked the RN and she said they had nothing but juice in their fridge so we ended up going out to get soup, but man, I thought that was pretty terrible.

Word on the street is that the food is terrible at this hospital and that instead of flowers, friends and family really should send food. :) Food food food!

That's all for now. We'll be sure to let you know how day one goes tomorrow!

Jess

6 comments:

Chris said...

You forgot to mention our expedition to get 2 bottles of jiuce for mom. I feel very left out of the discussions here.

Have a quiet evening everyone.....
love Chris

Jessica said...

left out?! Oh dear. Dad was there for many, many hours being a very nice husband.

Anonymous said...

Hey girl you look good!!!

I see you dancing chacha Sept 7

I am glad everything went well

Love,

Ana

Jessica said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jessica said...

Tha.nks Everyone for your comments. I am feeling much better this evening than I was this afternoon. Chris brough me some clementines and Jess brought me a cadbury slim bar and a freezy so I am feeling quite spoiled. A vist from Debbie and Shari was also a nice surprise. It is so nice to know that Deb, being a nurse lives right close by. Actually, though, the nursing care here is very good so I have no complaints.

I really hope I can get up and walk tomorrow. We shall see.

Marilyn

Jessica said...

By the way I am using Jess's computer now so it looks like the last message ws from her but it was actuallly from me - Marilyn. Bye for now. Hope you are enjoing my blog. Marilyn