Sunday, June 1, 2008

My first day at home

was busy but wonerful. I had the best sleep I have had in two weeks. At 9:00 I got up, washed and started getting used to getting around the house. I realized that I do not need someone right beside me when going up and down the stairs. I realized that I could get around without the walker and or canes as long as I am close to the counter, wall etc. My balance isn't really the problem. It is the pain of getting up and sitting down that is the most stressful.

After breakfast, I figured out a medication schedule so that I know what I need to take in the am and what I need to take in the pm and what needs four hour intervals as needed and what needs six hour intervals as needed.

I then started my half hour of morning exersizes torchuring myself to bend my knees in as far as possible and then stretching them as straight as possible. Just lifting up my legs towards my buttocks is so strained. I can barely lift the legs off the ground. Somewhat discouraging but it is only the first day home.

Then off to my favourite hairdresser Ozzie. Fortunately she is open on Sundays in her home so I was able to make a 12:15 appt. and then we picked up Jess at the subway station and went home for lunch. Jess was so helpful in sorting out stuff in the family room and purging old stuff that we just got accustomed to looking at but really were old, faded and ready for the garbage.

It looks like for the next 6 wks. I will have to depend on Chris to chauffeur me around to appt. physio etc. After knee replacement surgery car insurance does not cover you for six weeks. On July 2nd I will see my doctor and she will be able to vouch for my abilities to drive and assess my progress. It still feels like I have quite a way to go.
a
This afternoon Jess's delightful friends D'Arcy and Wendy came for a visit and they totally cheered me up. D'Arcy was the best foot warmer and Wendy brought delightful flowers. Later Glenda and Clive came by for nice conversation and brought a yummy chocolate cake. Everything in moderation, I say. The good news is that I lost 5 lbs. during the time I was in the hospital so watch out Biggest Loser Neuman Edition. I am about to win this weigh in tomorrow.

Chris cooked a yummy potroast for supper and then we relaxed, watched some TV, chatted with friends on MSN and prepared for bed. So that brings us to now. Time for bed. Hope I sleep well again tonight. That certainly cannot hurt the healing process.

Until tomorrow,

Marilyn

4 comments:

Robin N said...

Yay Marilyn!

Sounds like things are definitely looking up!

:) Robin

Jessica said...

mom, i'm pretty sure you'll definately kick sll our butts today. but next week... you're going down!!!

SB said...

Yay Marilyn. So happy to hear you are home and doing so well. Glad you can manage to get about a bit without the walker. Natasha tells me all is well at LifeBridge. I am going in tomorrow to take care of the $. Don't overdo the physio. Make sure you take time to sit in the garden and smell the flowers too! Take care.
Susan

Anonymous said...

Hi Marilyn,

So good to hear you sounding like your cheerful self. You're on your way! All the best.

Love,
Iro