Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Tuesday Night Out

I actually feel somewhat back to normal tonight, but am getting used to being treated as a handicapped person. After a brief afternoon rest, I changed and we headed out to see Jess in the Reeces Pieces Band. We got comfortable seats right at the back so I didn't have to go down too many stairs. The theatre was full of families, children, husbands, wives, grandchildren and friends of the musicians. The average age of the musicians was 70 so Jessica was the baby in the band. They played a variety of lovely music includinga March by Johann Strauss, highlights of Fiddler on the Roof, a selection of Queen music, William Tell Overture, Disco, highlights from Exodus, a selection of Star Wars songs, songs from the 20's which brought tears to my eyes as my Mom used to sing these to me when I was a child. She would have loved the show with all the small children dancing and clapping in the isles. There was also a small klezmir band who did a rendition of wedding songs from Eastern Europe in the early 1900's. I was surprised to see one of our old friends of friends playing in the band. Linda and Rob, if you are reading this blog, let Jules know we really enjoyed his KlezKonnection Band. It was a lovely show and we were very proud of Jessica. Her partner trumpiter is an 86 year man wh0 depends on Jess to repeat what the conductor says as he is very hard of hearing. It was so nice to see the young and old enjoying music together. My Mom was also very involved in creating intergenerational programs at the Golden Age Assoc. many years ago and here was a sample of what she strived for. In the middle of the show all of the children in the audience came up on stage and were given shakers and the band serenaded them to the William Tell Overture. I felt like I was at the Winter Festival at the daycare. The childen took it very seriously and did a wonderfull job without any rehearsal.

After the show we went out for a light bite with Carina, Rick and Jess and for the first time in a while I actually did have an appetite and enjoyed a variety of salads, a few of Chris's postatoes and shared a small pizza with the gang. Oh by the way I was the Biggest Loser this week. I lost 5 lbs. while in the hospital. Hopefully I can keep this off and continue losing.

So despite the fact that it was a somewhat tough day, it ended on a very nice note and I feel fine tonight - no headache.

I have just swallowed several pills and am hopefully going to be able to watch the first Canadian Idol show at midnight as we missed it at 8:00 p.m.

Until tomorrow,

Marilyn

Hope you are enjoying my blog. It appears that there are several of you who are having trouble posting your comments. If you cannot comment on the blog, please send me your comments at marilyn.neuman@rogers.com. I will try to help you figure out what the problem is. I would love to hear from you.

No comments: