Friday, June 6, 2008

On the Mend

Today was a day of progress. I felt more in control of my pain and was able to tidy up the house a little bit and proceed with 3 times daily home physio.

It started out as a planned mother and daughter day. As Chris had an all day meeting Jess was coming up to Thornhill for lunch and to chauffeur me to the hair dresser, the grocery store and then to the spa for a pedicure. I planned my medication and physio for 8:00, 1:00 and 8:00. I also, for the first time since my surgery had the patience to start a book. So I had breakfast, did my physio, tidied up the kitchen, began reading The Time Traveller's Wife, prepared lunch. Jess arrived at about noon, we ate, I did my physio and we prepared to go to my 3:00 p.m. hair appt. We then went to Longos and while Jess shopped in Longos, I bought a bread in Bagel Nash. We went home and Jess brought in the groceries and then off to the spa. We enjoyed relaxing pedicures and then went home. One of the parents and her child from the daycare came for a visit so we had a pleasant chit chat, ate MacMillan's Cookies and had a very nice visit. Thanks Karine and Nicole. It was very nice to see you both.

We prepared supper and then I did my last routine of physio. By then I was bushed. I dozed on the couch and watched a little TV. I am now waiting for the 11:00 p.m. news and then off to bed.

All in all, my knees feel like two frozen blocks of cement stuck in the middle of my legs. My feet go from being numb and tingly to normal. Only time will tell as to when these knees will begin to feel normal again. I am able to go upstairs with one cane and the bannister one foot after the other, but unfortunately coming down, I am unable to bend the left leg. I am not sure why because when I do the physio excersizes, my left leg does bend so why I am unable to bend it going down the stairs concerns me. I will ask the physiotherapist about this on Monday.

That's all for Friday, June 6th.

Until tomoorrow.

Marilyn

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Marilyn,
You know what's really good about this blog? You can go back and read...say day 8...and see the great progress you've made. As for bending your knee when going downstairs, I would think there's a difference to doing that as opposed to bending your knee while doing an exercise just standing or sitting. When walking downstairs don't you have to put most of your weight on the knee as your bending it (which in your case could be longer than usual)? I think that would be much more difficult or at least scarier. I think the physiotherapist could explain this better. I have the same feeling sometimes when I'm tired or feeling stiff, I find going downstairs harder than going up, and usually one leg will just feel stronger than the other.
Take care Marilyn. Slow and steady will win you this race.
Love, Iro