Thursday, July 10, 2008

Back to Reality

Hi Everyone,

We returned home from New York and New Jersey on Monday night and had a wonderful weekend with our friends Judy and Ted in Manhatten. Thanks so much for your hospitalityJudy and Ted, and for welcoming us into your 4th of July celebrations. Seeing the spectacular fireworks right from your living room window was something I will never forget. Getting to know your friends and family was lots of fun. The evening to the Jersey Boys and out for dinner was so much fun. We had a wonderful time. Onwards to the wedding in New Jersey. The rented car worked out just fine thanks to our GPS which got us there without a hitch 2 hours before the wedding allowing us ample to to relax, iron our clothing and get dolled up for the event. It was a beautiful wedding, more traditional than I had ever seen so a definately a learning experience. It was a lovely evening and the trip back to JFK and back to Buffalo and then back to Toronto worked out without a hitch. Jess took great care of our poochies and we got ready to get back to reality - laundry, tidying up and preparing for the week.

It was so nice to see all the children, staff and parents on my first day back to work. I am working 4 hours daily, early on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and after physio on Tuesday and Thursday. The driving is the worst part. I decided to drive to and fro rather than take the subway because I thought that the traffic would be less demanding on me as opposed to the walking, stairs and crowds in the subway. So far it is going fine, but I am going to bed early and trying to make sure to rest and do my excersizes each afternoon. I feel some pain in my right knee today so I will have to evaluate whether the stop and go traffic in the car is causing this. If so I may try the subway next week on some of the days.

I am still not ready to reduce my pain meds by very much. I am extending the time between doses from 6 to 7 hours. I have made an appt. at the doctor to see if there is a better way to get off them. But for now, this is the best I can do. I not only feel significantly more knee pain when I spread them out too much, but I also feel hot and cold, headachey and shivery and lose my appetite completely. I hope the doctor can help me find a better solution. I personally think it is just too early to get off the medication. Maybe I need another month or so. It is only 7 weeks today since my surgery and most people I have talked to who went through this surgery say 3 to 6 months of pain medication is not uncommon. I will see what the doctor says. I definately notice that I am not as mobile now that I am trying to get back to reality. I still need to go slowly and carefully and not over exert myself. I am feeling a little bit impatient at this time, but will take it day by day.

Until next time.

Marilyn

No comments: